Kiosk mode is a configuration where Android device is dedicated into a specific use, like to an info screen or a vending machine. It is good to note, that when Kiosk mode is deployed to the device, the users are not allowed to change any device settings, restart or shutdown the device.
With Miradore, IT administrators may deploy Kiosk mode configuration profile, which locks down a device into a single application.
- This feature is for the Enterprise subscription plan of Miradore.
- This requires the Miradore Online Client 2.8.0 or newer.
- The Kiosk mode is supported on the devices running Android version 9.0 or above.
- Device has been enrolled to Miradore as Fully managed device (Device owner mode).
Good to know
- Install the Kiosk application to the device before deploying the Kiosk mode configuration. It is possible to deploy the app via Miradore or manually.
- Reboot the device after Kiosk mode deployment and, to ensure that the Kiosk mode works properly on the device, reboot it also after the Kiosk application gets upgraded.
How to configure the Kiosk mode profile
To configure the Kiosk mode profile in Miradore, go to the Management > Configuration profiles and press the action Add to open the wizard. Follow the instructions to add a new Kiosk mode configuration.
1. From the first step, select the device platform Android and choose Kiosk mode from the next one to continue.
2. Setup the configuration. There are three configuration tabs:
Kiosk mode application
Set here the package name of the Kiosk application, such as com.android.chrome. You may find the correct package name, also known as application identifier, from the Application page (Management > Applications) in Miradore, for example. The device will be locked to the defined application.
On the Features tab, you may define which UI features are visible to the device user. Select the checkbox to enable the feature for the user. The UI features, except the Back button, are hidden by default in the Kiosk mode.
This makes the Home feature visible for the user.
When this is enabled, notifications for all apps are visible on the device. To enable the Notification area you need to also enable the Home button.
This enables Overview button and the user can see the recent applications. To enable the Recent apps you need to also enable the Home button.
This enables the Global actions dialog, which become visible when long pressing the power button.
This enables setting the lock screen on device.
System status bar
When this is enabled, the system information bar is set visible to the user.
There are additional restrictions you may set to the device, in order to make sure that it is used as intended. Some of the restrictions are recommended and selected by default, but you may uncheck the boxes to enable the feature to the user, if needed.
It is also recommendable that these restrictions are set in the Kiosk mode configuration instead of deploying the device a separate configuration profile.
Disable adding new users
This prevents the user from adding new users to the device.
Disable volume adjusting
This prevents the user from changing the sound volume and vibration settings. This restriction also mutes the device.
Disable factory reset
This prevents the user from resetting the device back to its factory defaults.
Disable any physical media
This prevents the user from mounting any physical external media to the device.
Disable safe booting
This prevents user from rebooting the device into the safe mode.
Disable systen error dialogs
This blocks the system error dialogs of crashed or unresponsive apps. In this case, the system will force closing of the app.
Disable screen off timeout configuration
This forces the screen to stay on. This, however, does not prevent user from turning off the screen with the physical button of the device.
3. Define the name and description and press Create to finalize the configuration of the Kiosk mode profile.
How to deploy the Kiosk mode
Kiosk mode is deployed to a device like any other configuration profile in Miradore. The Kiosk mode configuration profile can be installed with the action Deploy from:
- Configuration profiles view or the Configuration profile page (Management > Configuration profiles)
- Devices view or Device page (Management > Devices)
Please, see the detailed instructions from the knowledge base article Deploying a configuration profile.
There might be some variation on the Kiosk mode functionality, depending on the application run in the device. This is why we recommend to first test the Kiosk mode, before deploying it to all devices.
You may check whether the device is on Kiosk mode and what application is locked down to it from the table Miradore client, which is on the Main tab of the Device page (Management > Devices).
In case the deployed Kiosk mode needs to be removed from the device, please see the instructions from the knowledge base article Removing deployed configuration profiles.
Please send comments to email@example.com.